Happy Earth Day, San Antonio! Today we’re feeling (extra) appreciative of our beautiful environment—and for the local organizations that are committed to protecting it. These nonprofits celebrate our natural resources, advocate for sustainability policies, and offer all of us opportunities to get involved.
Below, learn more about the SA2020 Partners that are helping move us closer to the future San Antonians envisioned together. Then, click through to find out how you can get involved in their work.
- Build San Antonio Green: protects and enhances the quality of life of the citizens of the metropolitan San Antonio area by developing standards by which to certify newly constructed and existing structures to green standards, and to provide leadership, expertise, and education for the wise, efficient and sustainable use of energy and resources.
- Environmental Defense Fund: preserves the natural systems on which all life depends.
- Friends of Spare Parts: advances reuse and sustainability through the arts and creativity. (Check out their new store for recycled art supplies and materials!)
- Gardopia Gardens: grows healthy communities through garden-based learning.
- Greater Edwards Aquifer Alliance: promotes effective broad-based advocacy for protection and preservation of the Edwards Aquifer, its springs, watersheds, and the Texas Hill Country that sustains it.
- Green Spaces Alliance: sustains the natural environment and enhances urban spaces through land conservation, community engagement, and education.
- Hemisfair: helping to build one of the world’s greatest public spaces right here in San Antonio.
- San Antonio Bike Share: provides the community with a healthy, cost-effective, and environmentally safe alternative mode of transportation.
- San Antonio Botanical Garden Society, Inc: inspires people to connect with the plant world and understand the importance of plants in our lives.
- San Antonio River Authority: committed to safe, clean, enjoyable creeks and rivers.
- San Antonio River Foundation: promotes educational, cultural and scientific projects and activities that enhance the conservation, stewardship, restoration, preservation and enjoyment of the land and water resources of the San Antonio River Basin and its tributaries.
- San Antonio Zoo: fosters appreciation and concern for all living things.