So, we’re in the middle of the holiday break. That means it’s time for relaxation, family time, a little TV, and… deadlines…?!?
Here’s the deal: the first part of the year is when all the things for kids are due. What follows is not an exhaustive list, but rather the things that we have stumbled upon in the course of our work here at SA2020.
- Does the next J.K. Rowling live in your house? The San Antonio Book Festival is calling 7th-12th graders to submit original fiction for their fiction contest. Contestants have until Monday, January 11 to show they are Bexar County’s next best writer.
- Want to get your child involved in community solutions? Sign him/her up for the My City, Our Community Youth Summit on January 16. Students from 4th – 12th grades area welcome to participate in this day of leadership, fun, and creativity at St. Philip’s College. Register for this free event here.
- If your Junior or Senior dances their way to class or can’t get enough of singing on stage, then he/she has got until February 5 to submit his/her application for the 2016 Joci Awards, the Las Casas Foundation Performing Arts Scholarship Competition.
- Graduating Bexar County seniors have an opportunity to snag an MLK Scholarship, sponsored by The City of San Antonio Martin Luther King, Jr. Commission. Applications are due by February 26.
- The San Antonio Area Foundation has a wide variety of scholarships available. Read more about them all here, and if you know a student who’s a good fit for one (or several), encourage them to apply! These have varying deadlines, from February through May.
- Last but certainly not least, FAFSA applications opened on January 1st! This is a requirement for financial aid consideration, and you and your student should complete the application as soon as possible to ensure that you’re eligible to receive the maximum aid available.
That’s it from us–for now! We’ll continue to share any and all scholarships or other opportunities as we find them. Until then, get to applying!